Researching for this post was thoroughly educating. It really brought out my inner nerd. I learned a bunch of new things and it was very cool to see how amazing and complex the human brain is. God’s handiwork is incredible!
- 85% of the brain is the cerebrum.
- The average weight of a brain: 3 pounds.
- 75% of the brain is water.
- Contains 100,000 miles of blood vessels.
- 60% of the brain is fat — more than any other organism.
- Contains 100 billion neurons.
- Number of synapses per neuron: 1,000-10,000
- 60% is grey matter (neurons — which gather and transmit signals) and 40% is white matter (dendrites and axons — which create a network by which neurons send their signals).
- Stress alters brain cells and functions.
- Your brain recognizes your touch, so you can’t tickle yourself. (Admit it, you’ve tried.)
- Your brain needs 20% of your body’s oxygen and blood to function.
- Dreaming takes more brain activity than any waking function.
- Music improves brain organization. (Score!)
- Number of neurons produced per minute during early pregnancy: 25,000
- The brain generates 10-23 watts of electricity — enough energy to power a lightbulb!
- You have an average of 70,000 thoughts per day.
- The brain uses 20-30% of the calories you consume.